RE: Applying my function to elements of a vector

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49486] RE: [mg49464] Applying my function to elements of a vector
  • From: "Florian Jaccard" <florian.jaccard at eiaj.ch>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 02:44:50 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

newVector = f[#] & /@ v

regards

F.Jaccard

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Gregory Lypny [mailto:gregory.lypny at videotron.ca]
Envoyé : mer., 21. juillet 2004 12:39
À : mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hello everyone,

Say I've created a function, f[x_], which accepts a single scalar as
its argument.  I now want to apply that function to each element of a
vector, v, of length n, as in

	newVector = f[v],

but I get an error because my function f does not thread over the
elements of the vector as do built-in Mathematica functions such as
Log[].  How can I get my function to apply to each element of my
vector?

	Regards,

		Greg