Re: Spacing of Words in Text Graphics Statements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49617] Re: Spacing of Words in Text Graphics Statements
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:48:40 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 7/23/04 at 6:00 AM, djmp at earthlink.net (David Park) wrote:

>One of the long standing problems I have had with text in graphics
>is that the spacings between words is irregular. In fact, sometimes
>the space between words is entirely loss.

>Here is an example.

>Needs["Graphics`Colors`"]
>Show[Graphics[
>      {Text[
>          StyleForm["With wristwatch time indicated",
>            FontFamily -> "Helvetia", FontWeight -> "Bold",
>            FontSize -> 12], {8., 12.}, {-1, 0}]}],
>    PlotRange -> {{0, 16.5}, {0, 14}},
>    ImageSize -> 450,
>    Background -> AliceBlue];

>The space between "wristwatch" and "time" is lost. One can sort of
>fix it by putting in extra spaces after the bug pops up. This also
>happens with PlotLabel. I wonder if anyone knows why this happens.

There is a discussion of this in the book "The Mathematica Graphics Guidebook" by Cameron Smith and Nancy Blachman. Basically, it seems the graphics routines in Mathematica assume characters have a constant width which is not true of a font like Helvetica.

Note, this book was written when version 2.2 was the current version of Mathematica and has not (as far as I know) been updated since. So, some of the explanations given may no longer be applicable. But it does seem that a large portion of this book is still applicable and I am assuming such is the case here.