debugger woes with MathLink r12 on Windows: "The breakpoint will not currently be hit."

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49643] debugger woes with MathLink r12 on Windows: "The breakpoint will not currently be hit."
  • From: "Langston, Matthew David" <langston at slac.stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 04:01:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

When I set a breakpoint in my MathLink C++ code and then run it in the
VS.NET 2003 debugger, a question mark appears in the left column over
the breakpoint icon (indicated by a red circle) and a tooltip appears which
says:

"The breakpoint will not currently be hit.
No executable code is currently loaded at this location."

What's up with this? Why isn't the VS debugger setting a valid breakpoint
in my source code? It's as if the .pdb file is corrupt or something, since
the debugger can't find the source code.

A Google search for this error turned up other people having similar
problems for their *managed* C++, C# and VB.NET projects, but I could find
no one who had the problem for *unmanaged* C++ code (which is what my
MathLink project is).

I whittled my VS project down to the simplest "Hello World" example
and put it here (only 90 kb), hoping that some of you Windows MathLink gurus
could help:
http://www-user.slac.stanford.edu/langston/mathematica/MLHelloWorld.zip

I also put a screen shot of my VS screen here so that you can see that VS
claims that it loaded the symbols for my project even though the breakpoint
is invalid:
http://www-user.slac.stanford.edu/langston/mathematica/MLHelloWorld.png

Did something change in MathLink r12 (the version which came with my
Mathematica 5 installation)? I never had this problem with VS.NET 2002 +
Mathematica 4.2 + MathLink v3r9. Thank you for your help.

Warmest regards, Matt

--
Matthew D. Langston, Ph.D.
GLAST, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center