Limits of DSolve ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49743] Limits of DSolve ?
  • From: mashfour077 at yahoo.com (Mash Four077)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 06:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

All,

appreciate some advice in this:
need to solve (analytically) several systems of differential
equations, some smaller with just a few equations & variables, some
larger with several equations & variables (e.g. 20 equations).
To see whether / how Mathematica could do that, I have downloaded its
demo of version 5. This works pretty good for one system I have of 4
equations, but for another system of 8 equations it is taking a long
long time (has been running on an *average* PC desktop system for 5
hours now, without results).
So I started wondering: is there any information on limits of DSolve
as to e.g. the number of equations one should / could analyse using
DSolve, providing one only has an *average* system at their disposal.

Thanks on beforehand,

regards,

Elly