Scriptable Mathematica tools for auto-editing text?

Anyone know of a Mathematica package or set of tools that can be used to
operate on a text file and do, scriptably, the kinds of things one could
do by hand using one of the more powerful text editors, like BBEdit,
emacs or QUED/M? -- a set of modules that would do Search and Replace
with some grep capabilities, pull out all the links in an HTML document,
and so on.

I'm sure I cobble up an amateur effort myself to do this, but has
someone else already done it better?