Re: Extract substrings using metacharacters

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48573] Re: Extract substrings using metacharacters
  • From: Marcus Stollsteimer <marcus314 at>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 07:19:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Paul Abbott wrote:

>  Marcus Stollsteimer <marcus314 at> wrote:
>> What I don't understand is why you treat "*" and "@" differently,
>> shouldn't they both match 0 or more times, therefore in both cases
>> use x___ (3 underscores)?
> No. Have a read of Section 2.8.3 of the Mathematica book, or go to

oops, I was so sure the only difference is the "case-sensitivity"
that I didn't even bother to look it up again...

> I expect that someone has already written general tools for such
> operations ...

Hmm, didn't find anything in MathSource,
so, could this "someone" please identify himself... ;)

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads.
One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness.
The other, to total extinction.
Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly. -- W. Allen