Re: Re: limits on symbol eigenvalues?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg48582] Re: [mg48552] Re: limits on symbol eigenvalues?
- From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
- Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:58:04 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <200406051118.HAA11687@smc.vnet.net>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 5 Jun 2004, at 20:18, Curt Fischer wrote:
> Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> I just started using mathematica. When I tried to calculate the
>> symbolic eigenvalues of a 16x16 matrix mathematica told me it couldn't
>> Is there a restriction?
> I think Mathematica couldn't do it because it is impossible to find the
> symbolic roots to a sixteenth order polynomial, in general.
> Curt Fischer
Actually this is not quite true. It is certianly possible to find
symbolic roots of a polynomial od degree 16 or higher and Mathematica
can do it. (Just try it yourself). What is not possible, in general, is
to express this solution in terms of radicals, but that is quite a
different issue, unrelated to this problem.
The original question can't be answered with so little information.
Prev by Date:
Next by Date:
Re: Simplifying Expressions with Ratios of Factors
Previous by thread:
Re: limits on symbol eigenvalues?
Next by thread:
Random Matrix of Integers