Merging lists if an element in each partially matches?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg48708] Merging lists if an element in each partially matches?
- From: charles.koehler at marquette.edu (Charles Koehler)
- Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:52:31 -0400 (EDT)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hello, I typically need to merge separate sets of data into one list. If each file contains the same sample I can join them quickly and easily using various merge and sort routines that have been discussed here in the the past, such as myMatch5, etc. This is great when the sample name match exactly, however I am attempting to deal with sample names that do not match exactly. They will differ only in the length of name; one list may contain for example a sample name of 3_78457_5 and the second may only have 3_78457 or 78457_5. It should be possible to search the 2 data lists for columns that have the largest run of consecutively matching characters, and assume that is the correct match. Would it be possible to develop a similarity criteria? I can see that this type of function would very useful in things more important that this. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Charles Koehler