Re: Controlling function arguments

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48818] Re: [mg48817] Controlling function arguments
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:12:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 17 Jun 2004, at 17:07, Virgil Stokes wrote:

> I found the following Mathematica code:
>   NumberVectorQ[x_] := VectorQ[x] && And @@ NumberQ /@ x;
>   functionx[k_Integer?Positive, v_?NumberVectorQ, w_?NumberVectorQ,
> q_?NumberVectorQ] := .....
> where, I have left out the body of this function (functionx). What does
> the first line actually accomplish?
> --V. Stokes

The funny thing is that function defined in the first line NumerVectorQ
is not needed since Mathematica's built in function VectorQ takes a
second argument so that

In any case, the purpose of the function NumberVectorQ is to test that
the argument ssupplied to the fucntion are vectors of number. Actually,
it is probably better to use NumericQ rather than NumberQ since

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan