RE: Simplifying with assumptions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48980] RE: [mg48949] Simplifying with assumptions
  • From: "Simons, F.H." <F.H.Simons at tue.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:52:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mietek,

It does not look like a silly question! Maybe an analytical solution for this problem exists, but here are some Mathematica commands that will give you some solutions.

I rewrite your problem in the following form:

In[1]:=
eq  = 48 - n^2 + 8*x==m^2
Out[1]=
48 - n^2 + 8*x == m^2

Mathematica can rewrite the equation

In[2]:=
Reduce[eq,{n,m,x}]//Simplify
Out[2]=
m^2 + n^2 == 8*(6 + x)

So x has to be at least -6.

Here are some solutions:

In[3]:=
Table[{x,
      Reduce[eq&& m\[GreaterEqual]0&&n\[GreaterEqual]0,
      {n,m}, Integers]}, {x,-6, 10}];
DeleteCases[%, {_, False}]

Out[4]=
{{-6, n == 0 && m == 0},