Re: matrix times a vector

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg49024] Re: [mg49002] matrix times a vector
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:49:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Jun 28, 2004, at 4:13 AM, David Salomon wrote:

> Question:
> The input {{a,b}, {c,d}}.{x,y} generates the output {a x+b y,c
> x+d y}.
> How can I get the output x{a,b}+y{c,d}  ?
> This is a special case of lists with two elements. How
> can I extend this computation in an elegant way to lists
> with N elements?

Plus @@ MapThread[Times, {{{a, b}, {c, d}}, {x, y}}]

But because Mathematica treats {a,b} and {c,d} as vectors {a x+c y,b
x+d y} is the result which is equivalent to your desired output
assuming {a,b} and {c,d} can be treated as vectors.  Replacing
{{a,b},{c,d}} and {x,y} in the above expression by your desired N
element lists will work assuming the N element sublists can be treated
as vectors.