To create {{},{},....{}} beyond $MaxRecursionLimit

Hi,

I am in need of creating a nested list in  the form of {{},{},....{}}
of arbitrary length where none of the sublists have any element in it.
I came up with

lst = NestList[List, {},lengthlist - 1]

For[i = 2, i <=
     lengthlist, i++, flt = Table[{j}, {j, i, lengthlist}]; lst =
FlattenAt[lst, flt]]

however it complains  when lengthlen is over $MaxRecursionLimit.  I see
that I can change that Limit to Infinity, but I rather would not go
that route.  It must be a better way without using NestList.

Any good hint ?

Thanks ahead,

János
clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING comes
close to unclear perl code
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-lang/awk/faq/