Re: Re: Problem with Mathematica driving me nuts

When I try this:

In[90]:=
FindRoot[x^2==4x-4,{x,1}]
FindRoot[x^2==4x-4,{x,1},AccuracyGoal->30,WorkingPrecision->30]
N[%,15]

Out[90]=
{x -> 2.}

Out[91]=
{x - >1.99999999999999644728632119950}

Out[92]=
{x->2.00000000000000}

The default is rounded to 2. In general, always specify three options to
instruct FindRoot of your desired level of "accuracy":

1. AccuracyGoal
2. Working Precision
3. Number of decimal places

Theodore Sande

Disclaimer: The author's opinions expressed herein are not necessarily his own.