Re: Excessive Mathematica memory use, revisited.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg46928] Re: Excessive Mathematica memory use, revisited.
- From: frankeye at cox.net (Frank Iannarilli)
- Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:37:35 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Virgilio, Check out "binarica": http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/4870/ The summary: The Binarica notebook contains cells for fast reading of a binary file and conversion of its IEEE single-precision floating point byte stream into Mathematica (machine-precision) Reals. The processing maintains the (Mathematica 4.X) PackedArray representation so crucial to memory and speed efficiency. Although crafted only for PC-endian byte format, and merely for IEEE single-precision, the methods provided are sufficiently generalizable by an interested user. I've found it quite tricky, but doable, to get near-optimal space-time performance on binary import. Regards,