RE: Re: WorldPlot Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47064] RE: [mg47043] Re: WorldPlot Question
  • From: David.Annetts at csiro.au
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:39:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Terry,

> Sorry, but I found out that I have the Mathematica command
> wrong.  The
> correct command is
> WorldData["Country Name].   My same question below still stands.
> .......Terry
>
> Terry wrote:
>
> >Hi All:
> >   In the WorldPlot package, it is possible to obtain  the
> vertices of
> >the polygon that defines the border
> >of a country by entering the command,
> >     WorldPoints["Country Name"]
> >
> >A fixed (default) number of vertex points is returned.
> Now, is there
> >a way to increase the number of points
> >that this command returns with?  If so, how?
> >TIA,

Inspection of the WorldPlot package shows that there is no way of
increasing the number of points returned by the command
WorldData["Country Name] short of editing the points themselves.

You can get more points by interpolating the list eg.

Needs["Miscellaneous`"]
Needs["NumericalMath`"]
ozo = WorldData["Australia"];
ozi = SplineFit[ozo[[1]], Cubic]
ozn = ozi[#] & /@ Range[0, 52, .5];

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts
  EM Modelling Analyst
  CSIRO DEM            Tel: +612 9490 5416
  North Ryde           Fax: +612 9490 5467
  Australia         David.Annetts at csiro.au