Re: bug in IntegerPart ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg47957] Re: bug in IntegerPart ?
- From: John Doty <jpd at whispertel.LoseTheH.net>
- Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 04:50:57 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
AC wrote: > Mr. Lichtblau and other respondents clearly pointed out that BaseForm > is not useful for to print numbers in given base and that RealDigits > should be used instead. If there is no clear purpose for BaseForm > left, why it is not removed from the system? BaseForm is for printing numbers. I sometimes use it when my output is intended for construction or programming of binary hardware. For exact input, it yields exact output, for approximate input it yields approximate output. It is intended to produce readable and exportable output. It may not be useful to you, but it certainly is useful to me. This is different from deconstructing approximate numbers, for which one should use RealDigits. Its output is less readable and less convenient to export, but it's useful if you want to do further processing of the list of digits within Mathematica, or for understanding the internal representation of an approximate number in detail. -jpd