RE: on ColorFunction and combined images?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47941] RE: [mg47930] on ColorFunction and combined images?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 04:50:35 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Sampo,

Extending my earlier reply, we can make a fix. Mathematica errors in
dropping the ColorFunctionScaling option when converting DensityGraphics to
Graphics. We can repair it by adding it back into the generated Raster
statement.

Using regular Mathematica plotting, we could use...

mycf[x_] := RGBColor[0, 0, (x - 350)/20]

pic1 = DensityPlot[350 + 20*x^2, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1},
  ColorFunctionScaling -> False, ColorFunction -> mycf, Mesh -> False];
pic2 = Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 1}];
Show[Graphics[{First[Graphics[pic1]] /.
          Raster[args__] :> Raster[args, ColorFunctionScaling -> False],
        First[pic2]}],
    AspectRatio -> Automatic,
    Frame -> True];

I consider that to be somewhat convoluted and I first made the fix by using
the DrawGraphics package from my web site below. The whole initial objective
of DrawGraphics was to make it easy to combine plots of various types,
without having to worry about side plots. Also, since it deals directly with
the primitive graphics, it makes it easy to manipulate those graphics. I
also make a little lighter color function. Draw statements replace Plot
statements and extract the primitive graphics.

Needs["DrawGraphics`DrawingMaster`"]

mycf[x_] := ColorMix[Blue, White][(x - 350)/20]

Draw2D[
    {DensityDraw[350 + 20 x^2, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}, ColorFunction -> mycf,
          Mesh -> False] /.
        Raster[args__] :> Raster[args, ColorFunctionScaling -> False],
      Draw[x^2, {x, 0, 1}]},
    AspectRatio -> Automatic,
    Frame -> True];

David Park