Implementing Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg48013] Implementing Mathematica
  • From: Jon Harrop <jdh30 at>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:11:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I've knocked up a little interpreter of part of the core language of
Mathematica, written in the ocaml language:

I've now optimised the interpreter so that it runs the Ackermann function at
about 1/3rd the speed that Mathematica does.

I believe I have thought of a way to greatly increase the speed of the
interpreter. However, I can't really justify spending any more time on this
unless there is a chance that Wolfram, or someone, would be interested in
buying the result. Is anyone interested in this?