Re: padding numbers in front of uniquely generatd names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48292] Re: padding numbers in front of uniquely generatd names
  • From: Marcus Stollsteimer <marcus314 at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 03:04:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

sean kim wrote:

(snipped)

> above work fine for making the names upfront then assigning them to
> pictures, but what if i wanted to generate them as the algorythm runs.
> now i thought this was gonna do it...
>

> StringJoin[ToString[ PaddedForm[ Unique["plot"], NumberPadding ->
> {"0", "0"}]], ".jpg"]
>
> but no, above is exactly the same as what I had before.
>
> Without using Table, or With, how do i change it so that above will
> generate unique names with 0's padded?

Hello Sean,

PaddedForm does not work with symbol names.

you could do something like this:

filecount=0;
getfn[] :=
  Module[{digits=3},
         "data-"<>StringJoin[ToString/@IntegerDigits[filecount++,10,digits]]
                <>".ext"
  ]

gives:

In:= getfn[]
Out= data-000.ext

In:= getfn[]
Out= data-001.ext

Regards,
Marcus

--
It is awfully hard work doing nothing. -- Oscar Wilde