One Liners and speed

Hi,

I am trying to increase the speed of some of my small programs.  I am
converting them from procedural coding to functional ones.  /Usually I
gain minimum 5-10 times speed./   As I am doing so I am wondering if
there was any discussions about if for a given problem the one liner or
a set of one liners are achieving the maximum speed, ie the shortest
execution time calculated by AbsoluteTiming[] ?

Is there an article which proves it ?

I am thinking of "strict" one liners.

Thanks ahead

János
clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING comes
close to unclear perl code
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-lang/awk/faq/