Mathematica and Keyboards

G'day all,
In Linux, Mathematica doesn't like the number keypad being on and the
solution to this is to turn it off. I would like to use Mathematica via
an XDMCP session to a Linux OS machine from a Mac OS X machine and I
have noticed that in this case the characters are completely messed up.
With other applications the keyboard (Mac) characters get mapped
correctly. How do I get the characters to map correctly.

Thanks
Yas