Re: Uniform design

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48416] Re: Uniform design
  • From: ab_def at prontomail.com (Maxim)
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 00:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Garbage in, garbage out" (GIGO) is a well-known half-jocular term,
but any freshman who wrote his program based on GIGO principle
wouldn't get high marks for his work (and even lower marks if he
started calling people who "misuse" his program names). Of course, I
don't mean to say that Mathematica developers don't know such trivial
things, I'm just saying that advocating GIGO approach isn't very wise.

Taking the one example you had time to analyze (GIGO doesn't seem to
apply to any of the other examples in my post), suppose we have
something like SeriesData[n,0,{Cos[n]},0,2,1]. If having Cos[n] in the
coefficient list is not legitimate, then -- and that's only one of the
possible approaches -- generate a warning message, and that would
already be better than GIGO. In fact, Mathematica detects that the
list of coefficients depends on n and automatically rewrites the above
expression as 1+O[n]^2. This seems to indicate that Mathematica is
'aware' of such possibility, but sometimes doesn't handle it
adequately.

Maxim Rytin
m.r at inbox.ru