Re: Garbage collection problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51901] Re: Garbage collection problem
  • From: D Herring <dherring at>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:51:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Sean,

Thanks for looking at this.  However, your suggestion actually made
things worse.  Now, my memory usage increases each time I "run" example
a, as well as example b.

Is this problem related to my version/platform of Mathematica?

Does anyone know of an equivalent for "ls -l" that I could run on
Mathematica to track down the memory hog?  I tried several things, but
it looks like this memory is out of my reach.

For example,
(* begin *)
objects = Names[];
sizes = Table[ByteCount[objects[[i]]], {i, Length[objects]}];
(* end *)

Running this code snippet doesn't show any increase in the memory used
by my objects, even though MemoryInUse[] does.  Therefore, I want to
know, where is my memory going?