Re: List element replacement.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg52006] Re: List element replacement.
- From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
- Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:03:21 -0500 (EST)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Robert G. Wilson v wrote: > Et al, > > HELP, I tried this once before but what I received back I could not make it work. > Therefore I am following the adage that if at first you do not succeed then wait > awhile, rethink, restate and resubmit. > > I have three lists of objects, sorted but not unioned, that is there are elements > which will be repeated. Let us label them 'initial' list, 'compare' list, and > 'replace' list. If all of the elements in the 'compare' list, including repeats, > are in the 'initial' list, then remove those elements and put in the elements from > the 'replace' list. > > Thank you in advance, > > Bob. > Are your lists meant to be of the same length - I presume not - but in that case how do I know which element of the replace list to use? I suggest you post an example of your three lists and the result that you would like to obtain. David Bailey