Re: Counting Runs

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg52180] Re: Counting Runs
  • From: "Carl K. Woll" <carl at>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:30:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Bob,

I think Abs, Tr, and BitXor are very fast because they are probably
optimized for integer input and the use of packed arrays. On the other hand,
I doubt that there are any such optimizations for integers or packed arrays
for the functions Part, Split and Sort.

At any rate, Andrzej Kozlowsky has kindly provided an improvement, so that
the following runs function is almost twice as fast as my previous one.