Re: Challenge: Fastest method to convert positive integers to 1 in a long list

Try this:

In[131]:=
max = Max[seq];
Timing[Quotient[seq + max -
      1, max]; ]
Out[132]=
{0.0800000000000125*Second,
   Null}

János
On Nov 13, 2004, at 4:40 AM, Carl K. Woll wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Inspired by the recent thread on counting runs, I have the following
> challenge. Come up with a method to convert all the positive integers
> in a
> long sequence of nonnegative integers to 1, so that the sequence
> consists of
> only 0s and 1s. Let the sequence be given by
>
> seq = Table[Random[Integer, 10], {10^6}];
>
> Then, one technique is
>
> newseq = 1+Quotient[#,#+1,1]&@seq;
>
> Can anyone do better?
>
> Carl Woll

Trying to argue with a politician is like lifting up the head of a
corpse.
(S. Lem: His Master Voice)