Re: Exporting to gif and jpeg is tooooo slow

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg52293] Re: Exporting to gif and jpeg is tooooo slow
  • From: Peter Pein <petsie at>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:23:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Geronimo wrote:
> Hi Group
> I have problems with the "Export" command to gif and jpeg formats.
> For example
> p = DensityPlot[x+y, {x, 0, 1}, {y, 0, 1}, PlotPoints -> 30, Mesh -> False,
>       ColorFunction -> Hue];
> and then
> Export["test.fmt", p, "fmt", ImageSize -> 400]
> If fmt=pdf or eps, the result is instantaneous. With gif and jpeg, it never
> ends. With lighter plots (produced by the Plot command) it works but it
> takes a crazy amount of time.
> For the same reason I cannot save a notebook in html.
> I use Mathematica 4 under Linux and I have tried two different machines
> (very different configurations: different distributions, different
> networks...) with the same result.
> Thanks for any suggestion.
Hi Geronimo,

if you open a notebook with a text editor, you will see the output cells
containing graphics begin with

Cell[GraphicsData["PostScript", "\<\
%%Creator: Mathematica

Mathematica has to do no conversions, when saving as .eps, but a lot when saving
in a pixel-oriented format.

I'm afraid you have to wait.

Peter Pein
10245 Berlin