canonical mathematical expression represenation?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg52484] canonical mathematical expression represenation?
  • From: nospam nospam <nospam_please at>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 01:22:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I noticed that Mathematica represents expressions with
some specific 'way' or order.

For example,

Sum[a^k, {k, 0, M}]

          -1 + a^(1+M)
            -1 + a

How can I make it display the expression, in what I would consider
a more 'natural' way, as follows

           1 - a^(1+M)
            1 - a

I am sure there is a way to do, and why do you think
Mathematica does it the way it does? what is the logic
of how it represents things? is there a command to convert
the first output to the second? I tried few commands, but
can not figure it out.

thank you,