  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50985] Fast multiplication of polynomials mod p
  • From: lzwnews at yahoo.com (Trav)
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 04:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm running a huge job on Mathematica, and the bulk of the running
time is used on computing products of polynomials mod prime p (the
program has to handle hundreds of polynomials of degrees up to
hundreds, maybe even a 1000, mod p). The generic PolynomialMod
function is slow (at O(d^2), d being the degree). Is there any add-on
to speed up this process? I do know there's a 'FiniteFields' package,
but any other recommendations?

[ I just realized that I need to perform Gaussian elimination mod p as
  well. And the matrix is not sparse. Is there a good Mathematica
  library for that? ]

Thanks in advance.