Re: Use of % notation

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51002] Re: Use of % notation
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 04:48:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I mean, that if you run the Mathematica kernel alone in a command line
session or Unix shell, than you need %.

Historical it was so that Mathematica 1.x where a program that run in a text
mode interface with an "In[]:=" prompt without any GUI interface or

On Mac's this was different because a MacOS < 10 had no command line, but
on the most Unix systems or if you don't run a XWindow on the machine
this simple interface still exist and if you use Mathematica in this way
% is very usefull. Today, where the most people run Mathematica from the
FrontEnd % is alsmost useless, because you can evaluate the cells in
an arbitary sequence and you can't never be sure what % mean in a

To: mathgroup at