Re: Hyperbolic function identity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51025] Re: Hyperbolic function identity
  • From: carlos at colorado.edu (Carlos Felippa)
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 03:17:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl> wrote in message news:<cjj840$bsd$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Ah, of course! Well, it was late last night!
> Still, I think this explains the whole problem, and also shows that
> with the present paradigm on which Simplify and FullSimplify are based
> it is unavoidable.
>
> To summarise it: with a given complexity function and the presence of
> conditions in Simplify or FullFimplify, the transformation leading to
> the "simplest result' (in this case 0) may have to use a step which
> results in an expression which has a higher complexity (in this case
> the expression involving logs, which has a higher default complexity
> until it itself is simplified under the given assumptions). Clearly,
> this is un-avoidable, since to avoid it Mathematica should test each
> intermediate expression that any of its trasformation functions
> produces by again applying FullSimplify with assumptions. IN other
> words it would would have to do something like this:

Can this long discussion be summarized as follows:

   The paradigm of using a leaf-based complexity function as
   simplification driver is wrong.

I happen to be interested in the subject because more of 80% of the
problems I have experienced with Mathematica since 1994 are due to
Simplify, and more recently FullSimplify.  The main difficulties are

 o   Excessive time requiring user abort
     Note 1: specifying a TimeConstraint, which appeared in 3.1,
             does not work as regards limiting total time
     Note 2: my feeling is that  the tree-traversal algorithm used
             has exponential complexity  in the number of leaves,
             but I have no timing tests to back that estimate.

 o   Outside coaching to tunnel out from local minima.  Simplify
       should be a black box.   Tunneling algorithms are well
       known in the MP community.