Re: How to explain functions' linearity to Mathematica 5 ?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg51079] Re: How to explain functions' linearity to Mathematica 5 ?
- From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
- Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 06:17:38 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
You need the two definitions N0[i_, j_, (r_) + (s_)] := N0[i, j, r] + N0[i, j, s]; N0[i_, j_, (a_)?NumberQ*(s_)] := a*N0[i, j, s]; then evaluating N0[1, 2, I*N0[4, 1, r] + 97*N0[4, 3, 5*N0[2, 1, r]]] gives I*N0[1, 2, N0[4, 1, r]] + 485*N0[1, 2, N0[4, 3, N0[2, 1, r]]] Steve Luttrell "Stepan Yakovenko" <stiv at novi.ru> wrote in message news:cjojiq$aro$1 at smc.vnet.net... > Hello ! > > It would be great if someone will help me to find out a solution for a > small problem. > I have got an abstract function N0[i,j,r], where i and j are integers > and r is some formulae. > N0 has a feature: N0[i,j,r+s]=N0[i,j,r]+N0[i,j,s] and N0[i,j, a s]=a > N0[i,j,s]. I have got > a long expression like this: N0[1,2, > I*N0[4,1,r]+97*N0[4,3,5*N0[2,1,r]]]. I want it to get expanded > like this I*N0[1,2,N0[4,1,r]+5*97*N0[1,2,N0[4,3,N0[2,1,r]]]] with > Mathematica 5. How can I do it ? > > Thanx in advance. > >