Question on ComplexExpand

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51129] Question on ComplexExpand
  • From: carlos at (Carlos Felippa)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 04:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

This question is related to a previous post, and to a project in
stability of a G&C feedback system I am working on.

Is there a way to get ComplexExpand to automatically convert Abs to
Sqrt,  Arg to ArcTan, etc., as target functions?    For example

             ComplexExpand[Abs[x+y*I]]   gives  Sqrt[x^2+y^2]
             ComplexExpand[Arg[x+y*I]]   gives  ArcTan[y/x]
(Note: ComplexExpand assumes all symbols are real by default.)
I wasnt able to find an option to do that in 4.2.1.  Thanks.