Re: Re: Root function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51111] Re: [mg51033] Re: [mg51009] Root function
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 04:36:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

> The Root form is a concise way of expressing algebraic numbers via the
> minimal polynomial they satisfy, along with a canonical ordering in the
> complex plane (hence those numbers 1-3 in the second field).
>
> Daniel Lichtblau
> Wolfram Research

Well, "canonical" may carry the wrong connotations of mathematical
inevitibility. What I should have stated is that Mathematica uses an
ordering that canonicalizes; but there is noting intrinsic to the
mathematics that forces that particular ordering to be used; it is
simply convenient.

The particulars, as best I recall, are as follows.

(i) Order real roots first, from most negative upward.
(ii) Order complex roots by their real parts (negative to positive).
(iii) for ties e.g. complex cnnjugates, suborder next by magnitude of
imaginary part, negative before positive. This has the beneficial effect
of keeping conjugate pairs together.

This may not be entirely correct but should give the idea.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research