No more memory available

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51145] No more memory available
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 04:34:21 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

In a loop I am pushing data on a stack and popping it later.  In the
first part of the calculation I push more than I pop and it eats up all
the physical memory, and eats also up all the virtual memory available
for the App.

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

It is with OSX 10.3.5 and Mathematica 5.0.1 on a G4 with 2GB SDRAM.  I
am wondering what technics are used by others in similar situation.  Do
you start to write out to the file system your accumulated unprocessed
data and read it back later for further processing ?

Theoretically I can re-arrange the program so after some amount of
push, pop all which was pushed and process them before I push more, but
that requires some rearrangement of the flow of computation and I try
to avoid that.

I also found Utilities`MemoryConserve` which I will try out.  Any other
suggestions ?

Thanks ahead,

János
------
"..because Annushka has already bought sunflower oil, and not only
bought it, but spilled it too."
Bulgakov:  Master and Margarita