Re: Conveniently Restarting Notebooks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51189] Re: Conveniently Restarting Notebooks
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 05:26:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <ck0c16$nuv$1 at smc.vnet.net>, DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
wrote:

> >> What about Ctrl+{, Ctrl+} and Ctrl+'. That goes part way to what you want.
>
> No, it doesn't; not even close.
>
> I want to push a button that says "1" if I only want to see only top-level
> outline cells, "2" if I want to see two levels, etc. That would allow me to
> close all low-level groups with one click or instantly see an outline to
> whatever detail I want. That's what Word's outline view has done for about
> fifteen years.

Does the following palette do what you want to do?

Paste the following Cell into a Notebook and run Generate Palette from
Selection:

 Cell[BoxData[GridBox[
  {
   {ButtonBox[ "1",
     ButtonFunction:>FrontEndExecute[
     {
     NotebookFind[SelectedNotebook[ ],"Section", All, CellStyle],
      FrontEndToken[ "OpenCloseGroup"]
     }]]
    },
   {ButtonBox[ "2",
     ButtonFunction:>FrontEndExecute[
     {
     NotebookFind[SelectedNotebook[ ],"Subsection", All, CellStyle],
      FrontEndToken[ "OpenCloseGroup"]
     }]]
    },
   {ButtonBox[ "3",
     ButtonFunction:>FrontEndExecute[
     {
     NotebookFind[SelectedNotebook[ ],"Subsubsection", All, CellStyle],
      FrontEndToken[ "OpenCloseGroup"]
     }]]
    }
  },
  RowSpacings->0,
  ColumnSpacings->0
  ]], NotebookDefault, NotebookAutoSave->False]

> When I write anything complex in Word, I start in outline view and fill in
> the details later. If I could, I'd write Notebooks the same way.
>
> I don't think input/output groups should collapse the same way as other
> groups, and I think closed cells with visible output really should be handled
> better. They shouldn't take up white space, yet it should be easier to see
> that they are there, and what their purpose is. I'm not certain what that
> would look like, but the way it looks now is not very useful.

I'm not sure exactly what you want here.

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul