Re: RandomReplacement

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg51380] Re: RandomReplacement
  • From: sean kim <sean_incali at>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 02:47:44 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi Andrej,

Ok. this new fix seems to get rid of all the bugs I
have seen in this group.

thank you so much for making the fix.(there was no
need to give me credit for pointing out the problem,
it's not liek I helped with the fixing the code, o_0)

i'll keep my eye out for anything strange as i use it.

the timing doesn't seem to be too different om my
machine. (Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop. 1.7ghz, 1gig ram,
windows XP, Mathematica 5.0)

without RandomReplacement loaded, i get

In[6]:= Timing[Table[RandomArray[NormalDistribution[5,

Out[6]= {3.375 Second,Null}

Out[7]={33.999 Second,Null}

with RandomReplacement loaded,

In[5]:= Timing[Table[RandomArray[NormalDistribution[5,

Out[5]= {3.545 Second,Null}

In[6]:= Timing[Table[RandomArray[NormalDistribution[5,

Out[6]= {34.58 Second,Null}

i can't evaluate

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

I wonder why the timing increases exponentially...

but anyway, thank you so much the fix!

--- Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at> wrote:

> Dear Sean
> I am sending you a new version of the package, which
> I think now works.
> It is a lot slower than the using the built in
> Random[] but it gives
> the right answer in the example that you tested it
> on last time.
> There may still be some bugs in it so I would be
> grateful if you'd let
> me know if you observe anything strange.
> Thanks a lot for spotting that problem and for
> suggesting the cause!
> With best regards
> Andrzej

x-unix-mode=0644; name=RandomReplacement.m

Do you Yahoo!?