Re: Re: Bug in Graphics Text under Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51720] Re: [mg51706] Re: Bug in Graphics Text under Linux
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at akikoz.net>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

No, natively Mac OS X uses Apple's own graphic environment called
Quartz. Any application that fully supports Quartz can rotate text in
any direction and produce lots of other professional effects but none
of them are not supported by Mathematica. The reason is that
Mathematica's Front End is written in "Carbon", which is a programming
environment Apple created for compatibility with pre-OS X Mac systems.
It is easy to port applications written for earlier Mac OS to Carbon,
but they the full capabilities of Quartz are not available to them. For
that the program needs to be written in Cocoa, an object oriented
programming environment based on NextStep. It was a big disappointment
for all Mac users who were aware of these issues when we discovered
that WRI decided to choose the "cheap and easy" way of re-writing
Mathematica 4.1 in Carbon, rather than creating a new Cocoa based Front
End. This was particularly unfortunate because WRI had a long
experience with NextStep though Mathematica development for that
platform stopped at version 3.0.
X11 is of course available for MacOS X: in fact Apple includes it on
its installation disks, but  it does not have the capabilities of
Quartz and  Mathematica does not run under it.

Andrzej Kozlowski