Re: Re: bimodal ditribution form counting signs of Pi digits differences

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg51744] Re: [mg51733] Re: bimodal ditribution form counting signs of Pi digits differences
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:17:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> The Pi digits behave more like an "ideal" probablity
> than the Mathematica random!

WHICH ideal? Uniform? Normal? Cauchy? Binomial? Triangular? What?

You're computing cumulative sums, so both series are heavily autocorrelated, which will cause pronounced peaks in a finite sample.

The built-in Random[] function has a bit of serial autocorrelation, too. (Google RandomReplacement.) I think most of what you're seeing is because of Sum, however.

When I compare plots for "brt4" and variates from Random[Integer,{0,9}], I get fairly similar pictures.

Needs["Statistics`"]
digits = 100000;
h = Rest@# - Most@# &;
span = Max@# - Min@# &;
Timing[brt4 = Rest@FoldList[
     Plus, 0, Sign@h@First@RealDigits[Pi, 10, digits]];]
Timing[b =
       FoldList[Plus, 0, Sign@h@Table[Random[Integer, {
           0, 9}], {n, 1, digits}]];]
span /@ {brt4, b}

ListPlot@brt4
ListPlot@Frequencies[brt4][[All, 1]]

ListPlot[b, PlotJoined -> True];
ListPlot[Frequencies[b][[All, 1]]]

You shouldn't fix the random number seed and look at one outcome; draw many samples and see if they ALL (or most of them) have whatever problem you think you've identified. If the span of brt4 were always less than that of b, for instance, you'd have a finding of some kind.

>> Dr. Bob you always have an opinion, ha, ha...

So do you, but it's always the same: "Ooh! Shiny!"

It's an enviable enthusiasm, I suppose.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net