Re: Optimization Problem - Need Stochastic Method

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50389] Re: Optimization Problem - Need Stochastic Method
  • From: sean_incali at yahoo.com (sean kim)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 01:49:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

not that i'm an expert in this and it's hard to answer without seeing
the system, but ...

NMinimize comes with various methods, and nelder mead is just one
method it can use. it has random search, simulated annealing etc. It
has an advanced documentation section that details this.

with SimulatedAnnealing you can change the step size and the cooling
schedule as well. (PerturbationScale and BoltzmannExponent)

i'm pretty sure others who are experts will answer this thread.

if built in methods do not work then you can see if it's posible to
implement a steepest gradient descent that uses randon numbers as
starting points.  and repeat over big sample space and see if
different starting points will give you a better convergence.( seems
like a bit of work though)

sean