Re: Exact real numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50525] Re: Exact real numbers
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 05:17:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

machine numbers on a binary computer are stored as a linear
combination of powers of 2. Numbers with a finite number of
figures in the decimal system must not have a finite number of
figures in the binary system. A conversion between
base 10 and binary numbers can't be symmetric because the
conversion process would be only symmetric when you computer
can store an infinte long sequence of binary numbers.

You can go to a computer store and buy infinte many RAM,
insert it into your computer and build an operating system
that can address this RAM and than store your infinte long
binaries. Fortunately with your infinte RAM you can store
an infinte number of those numbers. But the conversion back
to the decimal system may take some time.

The second best solution is to build a new FPU
that work not with binary numbers and uses 10 as base.

Regards
  Jens