DSolve Question

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50589] DSolve Question
  • From: "John Reed" <nospamjreed at>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 06:44:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I'm relatively new to Mathematica, and I'm having trouble with a simple DE.
This is from Zimmerman & Olness, "Mathematica for Physics".  Here's the

eq1 = y''[t] + w^2 y[t] == 0

initial = {y[0] == y0, y'[0] == v0}

eq3 = DSolve[{eq1, initial}, y[t], t]

When this executes, I get the error message bvnul: For some branches of the
general solution, the given boundary conditions lead to an empty solution.

Now, if I change v0 to a number, everything works fine.  I've tried making
v0 real and positive, but with no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

John Reed