Re: Re: Technical Publishing Made Easy with New Wolfram Publicon Software

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50685] Re: [mg50655] Re: Technical Publishing Made Easy with New Wolfram Publicon Software
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Rick is exactly on the mark.  The same system is also used to ensure that
the notebooks are always launched in the installed version of Mathematica
(or Publicon or Calculation Center or whatever the case may be) with the
highest version number, and that appropriate fallback strategies are used
if the product that created the notebook isn't installed.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:54:25 -0400 (EDT), StupendousMan wrote:
> Well, since the same company authored the two programs, it's easy enough
> to have the program examine the notebook and decide whether to handle
> it or pass it off to the other.  All this can be done quite quickly and
> long before the user sees anything.
>
> Rick
>
> Steve Luttrell wrote:
>> I wondered about that as well. I don't know how it is done in Windows
>>.
>> Steve Luttrell
>>
>> "Murray Eisenberg" <murray at math.umass.edu> wrote in message
>> news:cghfq0$je1$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>>
>>> I confirmed that.  But on a Windows machine, how do Publicon and
>>> Mathematica possibly accomplish that trick?  I thought the extension
>>> alone (.nb) determined what program opened a file whose type is
>>> registered in Windows.

>>> --
>>> Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
>>> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
>>> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
>>> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (W)
>>> 710 North Pleasant Street            fax   413 545-1801
>>> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

								-John