Re: Syntax Questions

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50749] Re: [mg50731] Syntax Questions
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 03:55:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

First, probably you ought to put the resulting matrix T in the form {{a,
b}, {c, d}}, since that would seem to be consistent with the matrix of
coefficients of the two linear equations.  What you have is, of course,
the transpose of that.

You could do it like this:

   m = {{a, b}, {c, d}};
   m /. First @ Solve[m . {v1, v2} == {u1, u2}, Flatten[m]]
{{u1/v1 - (b*v2)/v1, b}, {u2/v1 - (d*v2)/v1, d}}

I show the InputForm of the actual StandardForm result displayed by

(You still obtain a warning message "Equations may not give solutions
for all 'solve' variables.")

Dominik Werder wrote:

> While trying real easy Calculations with mathematica 5 on solaris I
> encountered difficulties finding the right syntax:
> Here I try solve some equations and write the four resulting variables
> a,b,c,d into a new matrix T:
> s = Solve[{u1 == a v1 + b v2, u2 == c v1 + d v2}, {a, b, c, d}];
> I'm sure this could be done easier, but I dont know how?
> thanks!
> Dominik

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305