GUIKit, GraphEdit and global variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50916] GUIKit, GraphEdit and global variables
  • From: darkness_wizard at hotmail.com (Wishmaster7)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:58:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi all.

Still working with the graph editor, I encounter a strange error.
Somewhere in the graph edit (you dont need to know all the code), a
button calls :
Print[PropertyValue[{"graphPanel", "expr"}]];

I run GraphEdit[{a,b,c}], no problem, the button prints :
{{1, 1} -> a, {1, 2} -> b, {1, 3} -> c, {_, _} -> 0}

I close the application, run it again, and now the button prints :
{{1, 1} -> Global`a, {1, 2} -> Global`b, {1, 3} -> Global`c, {_, _} ->
0}

I believe it's something about the kernel, still running when I close
the application. I never set a value to the variables a, b, c. I don't
want to close the kernel each time I restart the graph editor.

Maybe there is a way to get the variable "a" from the expression
"Global`a" ? If I can directly get the value of "expr" in the correct
form, it's great, but if you have a solution to propose to me, a
manipulation to transform "Global`a" into "a", i will take it.

Respectfully

Wishmaster7