Re: GraphPlot vs. SpringEmbedding

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg55749] Re: GraphPlot vs. SpringEmbedding
  • From: yifanhu at wolfram.com
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 03:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Depend on what you want to do with a "partial step". If it is
to refine an existing layout, then the answer is no. Since layout
with GraphPlot is very cheap anyway, you could just let GraphPlot
do a complete layout. If you want to see how the algorithm work
step by step, then you can use MaxIterations or Tolerance to
control how many iterations you want GraphPlot to perform. e.g.,

GraphPlot[g,Method->{SpringElectricalModel,MaxIterations->1}]

Yifan Hu
Wolfram Research

J. McKenzie Alexander wrote:
> I see that the new version of GraphPlot included with Mathematica 5.1

> contains much of the functionality of ShowGraph and SpringEmbedding
> from Combinatorica.  It also seems to be significantly faster than
> SpringEmbedding.  However, one thing which I cannot figure out is how

> to have GraphPlot only do a partial step of the spring-embedding
> calculation - something equivalent to Combinatorica's
SpringEmbedding[