Re: Maping and Complex Addition

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56151] Re: Maping and Complex Addition
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 03:53:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 4/15/05 at 4:47 AM, pdesai1 at (Pratik Desai) wrote:

>I have a list of complex conjugate numbers , appearing as

>I would like to create a function ConjPlus[{}] which gives me the
>real values obtained by adding the first two complex conjugate
>numbers and so on. I have been able to do it using table and plus,
>but it would be cool to just have a function you can call

>Anyway, here is what I am using

This of course won't do anything useful as j is not defined. Presumably, j was defined elsewhere in you session as 2. In anycase the identical result is obtained from

and the following makes the desired function

An alternative (which may run faster) would be using Total as in

conjPlus[x_List]:= Total/@Partition[x, 2]