Re: Integrate is driving me crazy, please help!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg56190] Re: Integrate is driving me crazy, please help!
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 04:54:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

first of all you should fix you input, Mathematica
uses []
for *all* function brakets and pi is Pi

res=Integrate[
  (hillb*((f0 + hilla)/
  (2*Pi*f*a*Cos[ArcSin[x/a]] + hillb))) - hilla,
{x, -a, a}]

than you should do

tmp = FullSimplify[res, Element[{a, f, hillb,
hilla}, Reals]];

and help Mathematica with your Log[] arguments

tmp //. a_*Log[b_] :> Log[b^a] //. Log[a_] +
Log[b_] :> Log[a*b]

than you have the solution, you expect.

Regards
  Jens