Re: holding boxes verbatim

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56275] Re: holding boxes verbatim
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 05:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <d42l18$3gf$1 at>,
 Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at> wrote:

> Dear Math Group gurus,
> Mathematica is annoying me. I would like some way to type in a two
> dimensional box form (representing an arbitrary expression) and assign
> it to a symbol. I would then like to be able to operate on the
> expression by, for instance:
> 1 printing it
> 2 printing it with some variables' values substitued into it
> 3 and finally evaluating it
> Hold and its variants do not do the job because they prevent
> expression evaluation, but I need something that will keep its box
> form exactly as I have typed it.
> Please, how does one do this?
> A method for doing this is very useful to me because my professors
> like to see the variables substitued into the original (not
> Mathematica reparsed original, but verbatim original) equations.

Have a look at the Utilities`Notation` package. This should do what you
want (and a whole lot more). Evaluate

    FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["DemosLink", "Notation Package"]]

for more information.

Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
The University of Western Australia      (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at