Re: odd mathematica blindspot

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg56472] Re: [mg56468] odd mathematica blindspot
  • From: yehuda ben-shimol <bsyehuda at>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:52:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

First Mathematica solves it with no problem. I wonder which version
you are using. I tested it on ver. 5.1 on Win XP.
Second, the (rather simple) problem is
Solve[a^x==b,x] will return
so if you assign
sol = Solve[a^x==b,x];
you can check it for many values of a and b which in your case will lead to
to extract this value you need to use replacement rules
x/. sol[[1]] will give you the number
x/.sol will give you the number as a list of a single element.